Saturday, August 6, 2011

Rained out.


More follies from running and training in the summer in the South!
I was scheduled to run 11 miles this morning. 8am. Checked the weather: 80 degrees, 90% humidity, 30% chance of showers. Typical.  I decided to do 14 instead, since I missed out on some of my running this week, due to my travels to Cincinnati. I've got 18.6 coming up next weekend and I wanted to feel ready. 

We made it about 4 miles in and heard the thunder.
At 4.5 miles in, we saw the lightning.
At 5 miles, it started to POUR rain. (For you westerners who have never lived in the middle of the country or the south, I would say you have NEVER experienced rain like it can rain down here! -Stand in your shower running luke warm water while fully dressed in your running clothes and shoes. While under the water, run in place for about 15 minutes.  This is what it felt like.)
I couldn't look straight ahead because it was raining so hard into my eyes. So, I looked down at my shoes at 6 miles and saw large amounts of water squeeze out of the side of them with every step. The thunder was so loud! It was actually sort of surreal. 

We put up the hood in the BOB over Ev who was now rather upset and scared by the thunder, but it didn't really help, as we didn't tighten down one of the back straps, so we actually accidentally created a funnel for the water, which made it run straight down her back. We fixed it, but she was soaked already. (Of course, we have a rain cover that fits perfectly over it. And of course, it was in the car.)
The way our running loop works, at 6.2 miles we actually run right by the car.  
And by the car we stayed. I was not about to continue in that and get 8 miles worth of blisters!

Well, besides a wet kid and two drenched parents, and besides being bummed that we had to go home, there was some other fallout.
Brendon's keys and iPhone were in a pocket in the BOB. A pocket that created a perfect air-tight bowl of water, where is phone drowned.  He is currently trying to do the self-fix. We shall see.  Of course, we are counting down the minutes until the new iPhone comes out, since ours are over 2 years old now, so we were  just hoping to have our phones make it until then!  Brendon took a pic of me completely drenched with his phone before it died.... I'll post it if he gets his phone running again. 
I am now desperately trying to dry my shoes so I can attempt 14 again tomorrow. Hopefully with less rain!
What an adventure running down here in Nashville has been!

Ev completely soaked and ready to head home.
Yet another use for the red flyer wagon.
Handy pocket to put your stuff in.
Handy pocket that fills with water!
 B attempts the self-fix.
 Ever seen the inside of an iPhone?

 Yet another use for my hair dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment