Sunday, July 3, 2011

Marathon training update

Thought I would give a quick update of how my training is going!

Just finished up week 10 of my 25 week program. 12 mile run this morning, 10 next week and 15.5 the weekend after that. Basically, I'll be running right around a half marathon every weekend from now until September 22, with the exception of one 15.5, one 18.6 and one 21 miler. Much more aggressive than my last training plan, but so far things are going really well. The heat of the summer has definitely set in here in Nashville (this morning, when we finished it was 89 degrees. Whew.), so I am typically running my weekday mileage, (which is generally 4-5 miles 3x in the week) from 6:15a-7a, and then weekend runs usually don't start 'til 7a or 730a. The heat has dragged down my mile times, but the same thing happened last year and the bounced back (by over a minute!) in the Fall, so I am just trying to get out there and get it done and let my body take care of itself.

All in all, I'd say my training is going really well and I am definitely feeling stronger and more confident in my running than during my marathon training in '07. For example, I ran 4.5 yesterday, 12.1 today and will run 5.8 tomorrow- nearly 23 miles in 3 days. I'm going to be tired, but its very doable for where my level of fitness is at right now. No way I could have done that last time without a rest day somewhere. (I think having put in over 2,000 miles since then helps! ...as well as all the hill training. I run on the steepest routes available here in Nash, which I think is REALLY going to help me in San Francisco.)

Lastly, a huge shout out to my husband who has been pushing the jogger along side me for my long runs... and who bought me my new absolute FAVE running tank, bra and shorts from Lululemon for my birthday! Thanks, babe!

Headed to Portland next weekend for our niece's wedding and I'm running a 10k trail race (plus 4 additional miles to get my distance in) on Sunday with my sister in law. So excited. Hoping all my hill work will have paid off!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you go Annie. The heat and humidity in Nashville are impressive to say the least or worse. Good luck and keep up the awesome training. It has to be downright brutal at times in the heat. Love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really have to find a time to actually run together! I already have it figured out. We'll put both Evelyn and Elsa in our double Phil & Teds and Brendon can push it while we all do our long run. It'll work out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete